The Adult Sabbath School Class

The help you need to teach Adventist adults

My Photo
Name:

Greg Brothers is an Adventist pastor in Oregon.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Just another reason why Paul McCartney's "Yesterday" is not in the church hymnal.

Rock-and-roll will never die.

Pity.

It’s not that I don’t like the stuff. I came of age in the ‘70s, after all – and I definitely have the LPs to prove it! And I still embarrass my children by singing along with Beatles anytime they show up on the radio.

In short, been there.

Done that.

And bought the t-shirt.

But lately, it’s all beginning to feel just a little . . . stale? A little old? A little too predictable, with all those “Classic Rock” radio stations continually grinding out the same “Top 40” hits that I’ve been listening to now for the past forty years.

And I know that change comes hard. I know that people’s taste in music is pretty much “fixed” by the time they hit the age of nineteen. And I know that I absolutely, positively, cannot even begin to understand why people listen to 98% of the stuff that gets played these days.

What’s more, I realize that churches have the same problem . . . and not just with music! No, the unstated agenda of many church members (including myself!) is to try and recreate the church of their youth – or rather, the church they remember from their youth.

As one famous prayer put it, “Lord – give us back the 1950s, and we promise to get it right this time.”

But as somebody else has pointed out, “God loves us just the way we are – but He loves us too much to leave us just the way we are.”

No, you read the Book of Acts, and it’s clear that the Spirit is no friend of the status quo. Instead, He keeps nudging us along. Giving us the occasional shove. Chivvying us out of our nice, comfortable ruts so that we keep moving in the direction God wants us to go.

And I hate it when He does this – in fact, I hate it anytime the Spirit tries to change my settled ways.

But there has to be more to life than the same old “Golden Oldies.”

That’s true of music.

And that’s true of the church as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home