The Adult Sabbath School Class

The help you need to teach Adventist adults

My Photo
Name:

Greg Brothers is an Adventist pastor in Oregon.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

"Behold, I make all things new"

The kitchen was 30-years old – and looked every day of it.

Not that this bothered me. Old paint, worn linoleum, out-dated light fixtures, and plywood cabinets covered with a varnish that the years had darkened to the color of smoke from a trash fire . . . these things were just part of the “background noise” that I’d long since learned to ignore. And as far as I was concerned, there was no need for change. No, if it had been left to me, the kitchen would have remained just as it was in the beginning, world without end, amen and amen.

But my wife had a different idea – and that’s why she’s spent the last four months remodeling that kitchen. New paint. New lights. New countertops and sink. A new laminate floor that she installed herself. And when the new molding gets installed (which should happen sometime next week), she will be done. All of her dreams for that kitchen will have become reality; all of her hopes for that part of the house will have been made visible at last.

No thanks to me.

And right there, you see why we need the Holy Spirit in our lives.

You see, I’m not the only one who’d rather live with a problem than fix it. No, the world is full of people who’ve learned to adapt. Who’ve learned to adjust. Who’ve lowered their expectations to the point that nothing more needs to be done than what they’re doing right now.

No, the world is full of people who can't see anything that isn't already there.

But the Holy Spirit is like my wife: it sees something that could be there.

And gets to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home